Welcome, Belinder families!
This is Bonnie Limbird; your PTA President for 2017-18. I’m a native Kansas Citian, interior designer, avid volunteer for the Johnson County Library, wife of 13 years, and mom to Abi, an incoming 6th grader at Belinder.
For our family, I can honestly say that once Chris, Abi, and I became a part of the Belinder community, we quickly became a member of our entire neighborhood and Prairie Village community as well. It has been an amazing experience the way our circle of friends has grown right along with our daughter’s, and we wouldn’t choose another school or group of fellow parents for all the world! We hope that before the end of your time at Belinder you’ll feel the same way.
As we welcome existing and new families to a new year at Belinder, I’d like to give a brief overview of what the PTA’s role is and how we have responded to parent and teacher feedback from the 2016-17 school year survey responses.
The primary mission of the PTA is to advocate for our students, and we are able to do this in a variety of ways at Belinder; ways such as legislative awareness, enrichment opportunities, community building, and, of course, through fundraising. You can learn more about each of these areas, including Race for Excellence, Belinder PTA’s tax-deductible 501(c)(3) initiative to provide supplemental Math and Reading Aides and a part-time Counselar each school year, on our website at www.belinderpta.org.
None of this advocacy could be accomplished without our many, amazing parent and teacher volunteers! Whether you are able to contribute a lot of time, or a little, to the work of our PTA, we welcome your participation. All contributions make an impact, and volunteering is a great way to connect with your school community. When you join PTA, you’ll have many opportunities to share your time and unique talents.
Our volunteers are also our best source of constructive feedback to improve PTA programs, fundraisers, and processes to better advocate for Belinder students. To that end, we encourage all families to respond to our Annual PTA Survey each Spring. Each Executive Board member and Committee Chairperson takes every answer and comment into consideration when evaluating changes moving forward.
So, without further ado, in response to the 2016-17 surveys, we have made a few modifications to your PTA:
- Chat & Chew: We’re starting to build a Chat & Chew lending library so that parents don’t have the expense of these books each year. This may take a while to build, so please expect that there may still be books to purchase (or borrow from the JoCo Library) this school year.
- Skating Parties: We now have SkyZone Parties to mix it up a bit! We’ll have two skating and two SkyZone parties per year, and at least one of those will be in the evening so the whole family can participate!
- Online Payment: We are continuing and expanding this convenient & easy option!
- Fundraisers: While we can’t get rid of these completely, we have tried to spread them out just a teensy bit more throughout the Fall, and we have mixed things up a bit. Tell us if you can spot the difference. 🙂 *Note: Logistically, our general fundraisers as a non-profit organization are front-loaded in the school year, because they pay for our PTA programs throughout the school year.
- Community Building: We’re bringing back the new events from last year: Chili Cook-Off event, and Book Swaps, as well as a few more, including a Father/Daugther Kickball event and a Mother/Son Dance. Watch for more info in the weekly PTA Newsletter!
We thank our engaged community for continually helping in so many ways and sharing their time, energy, and gifts. Through teacher grants, community service projects, field trips, family activities, staff appreciation events, annual variety show, skating parties, and more, our staff, students, and families make Belinder Elementary School a truly special place.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Let’s work together to make the 2017-18 school year a great one!
Bonnie Limbird, Belinder PTA President